Notes on the Mozzilla Web Browser
A "file://" link works with Internet Explorer, but does not work with Mozilla Firefox. Clicking on a "file://..." link from a remote "http://..." link doesn't do anything.
No changes happen to the web page you're looking at and no error message is displayed.
but who knows enough to go look there?
- Security Error: Content at http://rick.jasperfamily.org may not load or link to file:///C:/Perl/html/index.html.
- Error: uncaught exception: Load of file:///C:/Perl/html/index.html denied.
- Security Error: Content at http://rick.jasperfamily.org/ may not load or link to file:///C:/Perl/html/index.html.
A "file://..." link from a "file://..." web page, works fine.
this 2001 Mozilla bug
for the details why and background, and
here for a way around it, that is,
p.s. You get the same non-error, non-action if I tried making that "about:config" in bullet 1 above, a <a href="about:config"> link. Ha ha.
- type "about:config" into the Location bar and hit Enter,
- Find the entry for security.checkloaduri,
- double-click (or right click->Modify) that line,
- and change its value to false.
- Then, shutdown all instances of the Mozilla browser and relaunch it.